The Fisheries for Better Elections Coalition launches today with 13 commercial fishing boat captains and crew members involved in one of Alaska’s most important economic sectors announcing that they are voting Yes on 2. These hard working leaders and independent decision-makers understand that Ballot Measure 2 will give Alaska voters more choice, more voice, and more power to elect representatives who have the guts to fight for our best interests, not toe the party line.
“As a commercial fisherman, I know what it takes to take risks and face down challenges. We need our policymakers to do the same on our behalf. I’m voting Yes on 2 and ask my fellow Alaskans to do the same. Alaskans need transparency and brave leadership and we need it now.” states Ryan Johnson, F/V Castle Cape, Prince William Sound & Kodiak.
“As an indigenous person of Prince William Sound, I have hope for a healthy region and fisheries for my children and future generations. We need strong leaders who hold our values as the top priority. I’m voting Yes on 2 to support transparency and bipartisanship in our policymaking.” says Rachel Hoover, Salmon Tender and Gillnet Crew, Copper River & Prince William Sound.
The Fisheries for Better Elections Coalition includes:
- Ezekiel Brown, F/V Lucid Dream, Salmon Gillnetter & Seiner, Copper River & Prince William Sound
- Megan Corazza, F/V Centurion, Salmon Seiner, Prince William Sound
- Tyson Fick, F/V Heather Anne, Salmon Gillnetter, Southeast Alaska
- Hayley Hoover, F/V Nellie Juan, Salmon Gillnetter, Copper River & Prince William Sound
- Rachel Hoover, Salmon Tender and Gillnet Crew, Copper River & Prince William Sound
- Ryan Johnson, F/V Castle Cape, Gulf Longing, Prince William Sound Salmon Seiner & Kodiak Tanner Crab
- Patricia Kallander, F/V Miss Emily, Retired Salmon Fisherman, Prince William Sound
- Mike Mahoney, F/V Dorothy G, Salmon Gillnetter, Copper River & Prince William Sound
- Mike Mickelson, F/V Katalla Belle and F/V Mariah, Copper River & Prince William Sound
- Casey Pape, Longline and Seine Crew | Prince William Sound & Gulf of Alaska
- Arthur Shultz, F/V Lindsey Marie, Salmon Gillnetter, Bristol Bay
- Everett Leroy Thompson, F/V Northern Flyer, Salmon Gillnetter, Bristol Bay
- Verner Wilson III, Salmon Gillnetter, Dillingham, and Yes on 2 for Better Elections Steering Committee member
Mike Mahoney, skipper of the F/V Dorothy G adds, “I’m voting Yes on 2 because I want to incentivize our elected leaders to represent the will of all Alaskans and not just their own party loyalists. It will give Alaskans more information about who’s backing a candidate and more of a choice about who represents them. This will reduce political gridlock and help nominate candidates who are able to find solutions to the complex problems we face as a state. Alaskans know how to work together as community members to get things done. We should expect the same of our politicians.”
“The Yes on 2 campaign is excited and honored to announce our Fisheries for Better Elections Coalition members. When these fisherwomen and fishermen encounter a problem on board or during an opener, they do not take directions from special interests or party bosses about how to fix it or keep their vessel moving forward. They solve the issue and get the job done in the best interest of their crew and business. We believe our policymakers should do the same.” states Shea Siegert, campaign manager for Yes on 2 for Better Elections.